NOW Calling for Applications for 2020
Wayamba University of Sri Lanka has been offering several diplomas related to computer science and information technology, through the Department of CMIS of the Faculty of Applied Sciences and the ICT Centers at both Kuliyapitiya and Makandura premises. These courses provide quality education to learners coming from different educational backgrounds. The attraction from the public to these programmes over the years is evidence of their need for quality education and opportunities to obtain recognized academic qualification from a reputed educational institute. Wayamba University being the highest level educational institute and the only state university in the North Western province is in a strong position to provide such education.
The Department of Computing & Information Systems is in the view that introducing a Higher Diploma in Software Engineering adhering to the latest SLQF standards would open a progressive educational avenue to address such educational needs, while providing an opportunity to advance the academic qualifications already provided by other related diploma programmes of the University. The Department is also in the process of developing an external degree programme progressively, to provide completeness to the external academic qualification path as well as to provide comprehensive graduate level education to the suitable general public at a reasonable cost.
The course ensures that participants will have comprehensive skills in systematic designing and development of software applications. Essential skills and techniques are taught and practiced to perfection in a creative atmosphere with a strong emphasis on Software Engineering concepts.
Prerequisites for Prospective Students
- Achieved the SLQF Level 2 (i.e.: Passed in G.C.E. (Advanced Level) in any Stream in a single attempt) AND,
- Passed the Diploma level of the same programme(DSE/DSAD) or any similar Diploma programme (equivalent to SLQF Level 3 or NVQ Level 5) acceptable to the Board of Study and the Senate of WUSL for the Higher Diploma level OR,
- Any other qualification not listed above, but may be considered case by case and acceptable to the Board of Study of the HDSE and the Senate of WUSL for both the Diploma and Higher Diploma levels
- Software Engineering Theories and Practices
- Advanced Database Management
- Database Management Systems Development
- Object Oriented Programming
- Web Development Techniques
- Data Structures and Analysis of Algorithms
- Data Structures and Algorithms Practices
- Report Writing Skills
- Probability and Statistics for Computing
- Computer Project
- 1 year (Week ends on Saturday or Sunday)